Monday, April 1, 2013

PURITY- What is this thing ALL about???

I wanted to share with you all a testimony of God's Faithfulness; I'm not a virgin. I did not wait until marriage to have sex for the first time. Even when I made a decision to be abstinent, I was not sexually pure (there is a huge difference). God was and STILL IS doing a work in me. I can't change that part of my life, it happened and it's real. BUT GOD. I'm not sharing this to spill my business out on the streets. It's just that I know and have seen first hand God's transformation power in an area that I used to feel very casual about. Now, I was not always comfortable sharing this area of my life, but thank God for showing me that He has blessed me so that I can be a blessing to others!

In my late teens/ early 20s is where God began to tug on my heart regarding purity. I don't even know if I knew it was Him doing the tugging. It just began to tug in my heart, that there was more. At this time, I really did not have much of a relationship with the Lord even though I was brought up in a traditional church. I would go to church and be in intimate with the person I was dating, with little conviction. Everyone around me was doing the same and so; I just thought it was the norm.

After going through a horrible break up (it literally wrecked me for about a year), that's when the pages began to turn in my life. I don't even know if I had heard about purity before this. If I did, I probably thought it was something for people back in the 19th century and not me. "You mean to tell me, you expect for me to wait to have sex until marriage and give my life to You, surrender my body and I'm an African American young women who likes hip hop, clubbing and following my friends"?! Yes.

There is a difference between religion and relationship. God wants the latter and it's much higher to have relationship with Him. He desires for us to desire an intimate and personal relationship with Him! THIS and this alone is what changed me; my relationship with Him.
"Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4:8

It was not until, I began to have a personal love relationship with the Lord, that I GOT IT. Honestly this year, I was having a conversation with the Lord and I told Him I finally understand why He has required His sons and daughters to walk in purity (it's more than just not have sex). I have and still am going through deliverance in areas of my life because of my disobedience. It's not anything spooky, we need to be delivered as we continue in this walk with the father. He does not want us bound or chained up with strongholds and struggles.

My prayer for you and for all of us is that we will pursue holiness. It is possible with God and remember it's a process. Just please don't give up and know that you are not alone. He is with you and He is your help. Thank you Lord!

*** Some Praise and Worship videos/blogs are coming soon. I believe purity is the foundation of true Praise and Worship!

8 comments:

  1. I hear you! I share similar experiences. It wasn't just one break up for me! lol. I love the scripture you used! Sometimes, words like that scripture can sound harsh but I love how God brings understanding as we develop relationship with Him. Sometimes, in order to get our attention, He has to be harsh! lol. When my 1 year old tries to turn on the stove I am harsh- "NO!" The word speaks truth- when we are sexing, sexting, or self pleasuring we are continuing in sin because we are keeping that lust alive. And then we battle with ourselves thinking "why can't I get myself together?" "I went a whole month with no sex and then I did it again" "I love God and I'm trying but this seems hard to change." That is our double-minded ways. Our prayer has to be a cry to change our desires- just as you wrote!
    As mush as some of us may want to be able to say- a lot of us have accepted that being intimate with your boo is normal. According to society right now in America- you're right. It is acceptable! But it isn't God's standard. God wants us to do things a certain way for a reason. Once you "grow up" enough to be able to trust that... things like not having sex get to be less and less of a big deal. In fact- you appreciate his protection! And there is so much he has fr you to work on and do... man.... You will be too busy to be caught up! Desire a good thing that is fine! But what God has for you starts in the spirit and comes to life... so... Seek the Spirit first... the boo for you is in God too! lol. Good word sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honesty Lynnea. Love it, love it

    ReplyDelete