Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Worship and Witness- Who is He to you?

As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, "No. go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been." Mark 5:18-19

Has something that was familiar to you before, suddenly become something NEW to you? Something that you have seen or heard before, but suddenly you had an understanding of it unlike before? That's how I feel about this scripture!

You may or may not be familiar with this story, when Jesus cast demons out of a man who was possessed by thousands of demons. This man was literally tortured by these demons and he lived among the burial caves, because nobody new how to deal with him. He was literally out of control! (I would really encourage you to read Mark 5:1-20 when you get a chance).

Well the reason I am even writing about this is because I was asked to be the guest of a friends' class. The class that she is teaching at church is a 13 week class on "Growing in Christ", where foundational scriptures of the Christian Faith are learned. This was their last class before the final exam! This week they were discussing Mark 5:19 the scripture above. I was asked to minister this scripture through dance.

Just today, the day of the class I was lead to read the whole chapter Mark to read the story leading up to the main scripture (Mark 5:19). I was and AM amazed at the new revelation that God blessed me with! You see earlier today, as I was seeking the Lord about the song He wanted me to minister this scripture through, He lead me to a Worship song. In my mind I was like, "Lord this scripture is about witnessing, why would you want me to do a Worship song instead of a Witness song". WELL, after reading the chapter of Mark He made it quite clear to me. Hallelujah!

So we see in this text, this was a man that many where scared of and did not dare to go near. Mark even talks about how this man would wander day and night howling and cutting himself with sharp stones. See, these demons were controlling and ruling this man's body; BUT GOD! Jesus cast those evil spirits out of that man (mind you there were thousands, can you imagine!)! 

The reason this has everything to do with witnessing is because in verse 19 after the man was set free from those demons and he was perfectly sane, Jesus told Him to go home to his family and tell them everything the Lord had done for Him. You see this man's Witness was effective now because he himself had a personal understanding of WHO CHRIST WAS AND IS (this is Worship)! He was not witnessing because of momma and em's testimony or because of grandpappa's sermon; but He had his own personal understanding from his own personal experience with Christ!

We can learn a whole lot from this true story and event that actually happened: The Lord gives us our own experiences to share with other's so that they may be drawn to Him! After Jesus told him to go home and share; he went to ten town's and began to proclaim the great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed at what he told them!

I don't know about you, but at times I have struggled with witnessing and evangelism because I tried to do it in a way that other's told me to do it. I have learned that it is much more genuine when I start off with my testimony, then others are drawn to Jesus and I can share with them the gospel of Jesus Christ! Worship and Witness should go hand and hand. He has promised in His word that when HE is lifted up HE will draw all men unto HIM (John 12:32).

So my friend I ask you today, Who is He to you? What is your personal understanding of Him? Whom do you know Him to be? Has He healed you, set you free, comforted you? Think about it and let's make it A POINT to share it with others to open the door to witness, God will lead you if you let Him!


(These ribbons were used during the dance I ministered at the class tonight, God laid it on my heart to lay these ribbons around the ladies during the dance because each one meant something special for each of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment